Zero Waste BathroomWiebke Venter
So you’re ready to start your Zero Waste journey, that’s great! We understand that the thought of transforming your entire home into a Zero Waste area can be quite overwhelming. This is why we recommend starting with your bathroom. It’s one of the simplest rooms to transform, with a number of plastic items and plastic packaging that can easily be replaced by an alternative.
Here’s a list of all my favourite products that’s easiest to begin with:
- Hair soap. It looks like a normal soap bar and comes in a carton box that can be recycled. It smells great and contains important ingredients to pamper your hair. Place the bar under water, give it a quick rub and apply to your hair. It is important to know that hair takes some time to adjust, so do not become discouraged. The transition is worth it.
- Reusable Make-up Pads: To remove make-up, you can try using reusable make-up pads instead of the cotton face rounds that is thrown away after just one use. You can use these as you usually would with your favourite makeup remover or face wash. Simply rinse them afterwards and let them dry. These can be used about 2-3 times before being placed in the washing machine.
- The classic Bamboo Toothbrush: A bamboo toothbrush is beautiful, made from sustainable and compostable bamboo, and is incredibly durable. I’ve been using mine for 4 months and it still looks great. You can read about all advantages of bamboo toothbrushes here.
- Toothpaste bits: I absolutely love this product, because of how amazing it is for travel. You can count the number of days you will be away, and take the amount of bits needed. Chew, mix with a bit salvia and brush your teeth.
- Deodorant from Natural Yogi: Unlike other Deodorants that come in plastic roll-ons or spray cans, this one comes in a recyclable or reusable glass jar. You simply apply the paste with your hands. Each natural deodorant comes with its own unique flavour, too!
- Last but not least: The safety razor for both men and women. Plastic razors come with plastic guards and are wrapped in another layer of plastic. This is a lot of plastic. With Safety Razors, not only are they quite beautiful and incredibly durable, but is a purchase for life. For maintenance, all you will need to do is replace the blades every few months. Personally, this is my favourite item in my bathroom.
We have found that many Zero Waste beginners suddenly feel an urge to throw all current products away. This isn’t necessary. Simply make use of what you have until it is finished, and gradually replace them with your preferred alternative when it’s time to purchase something new.
We hope you will enjoy your new journey to living a greener, more plastic-free life. If you found this blog helpful and will be making the switch, do tag us in your posts on social media – we’d love to see your beautiful Zero Waste Bathroom. If you liked this, you can also checkout our DIY Tips & Tutorials for a natural, self care day at home.